Should Your Child See a Calgary Foot Doctor?
As a parent, it’s your job to make sure that your child is growing up strong and healthy.
And, while you may not often think about your kid’s feet, they play a huge part in a child’s development. Here are some signs that all’s not as it should be.
- They complain of discomfort or pain. If your child tells you one or both of their feet are hurting, it’s time to take them to a foot specialist in Calgary to investigate. However, many kids won’t complain of the pain, so it’s important to pay attention to other signs.
- They tire easily. If your son or daughter seems to have less stamina than other kids or they avoid activities that involve walking or running, there may be a mechanical issue with their feet or ankles.
- Their stride looks off. Once they’re passed the toddler stage, a child’s gait and stride should look even and natural. Feet that turn in or out, walking primarily on tiptoes or ankles that turn in should be corrected to avoid lifelong foot issues.
- They have knock-knees or are bow-legged. When your child is standing with their feet together and toes pointed straight ahead, their knees and ankles should just touch. If the knees don’t touch or if they do but not the ankles, there could be an issue in the way their legs have developed.
- They’ve injured themselves. Most kids love to run, jump and play. While this is normal and natural, it does put them at risk of getting hurt. If your child sustains even a minor injury, it’s important to have it treated by a professional in order to ensure that it heals properly and doesn’t cause any lasting issues.
- They’ve contracted a plantar wart. While this isn’t a developmental problem, it’s something that happens to a lot of kids. Plantar warts can cause gait issues in some cases and they’re caused by a virus that gets into the skin of the feet through tiny cuts. While they can affect anyone, kids are more susceptible. Plantar warts must be treated by a foot doctor.
A Calgary foot doctor for the whole family
Resolving any issues with your child’s feet as soon as possible can make a huge difference that lasts for the rest of their life. If you think their feet aren’t developing properly or they’ve been injured, consult a podiatrist at Dalhousie Station Foot Clinic in Calgary. Call today to make an appointment.